Sunday 10 July 2011

Hot Spiced Chick Peas

I'm not a very good cook but as my son is nearly 5 months old now I have been working hard to get back into my pre pregnancy clothes recently so I have been trying out some low fat recipes.  My husband loves anything spicy we choose to try this Hot Spiced Chick Peas dish this week.  This is a really easy recipe and also quick to make which is very handy with a little baby around!

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garum masala
4 large firm tomatoes, chopped tomatoes
425g can chick peas, drained
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
coriander leaves to garnish

1)  Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5/10 minutes, stirring constantly until golden brown
2) Add the spices and cook for a further minute.  Add the tomatoes, chick peas, lemon juice and coriander.  Season well to taste.  Cook for 1/2 minutes
3) Spoon into a warmed bowl, garnish with coriander.

These quantities serve 2 people and provide 205 calories per serving. 
The recipe suggests serving with rice but we actually had this with a chicken breast which worked really well!  I should also mention that we did change a few ingredients a tiny bit to fit in with what we had in the cupboard, so we swapped the fresh tomatoes for a can of chopped ones and we left out the coriander but it still turned out really yummy!

Unfortunatley I was so keen to try this that I forgot to take a photo before we tucked in!
I would recommend this recipe as a great low calorie but tasty meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment